27 January 2009

Cultural Rant #1

Okay, so in my Google research in trying to find an appropriate explanation in english for something that I only know and understand in Tagalog, I came across this website: http://www.western-asian.com/

It is an informative site that discusses Pilipino customs, culture, language, etc. I agree with a lot of the things that are posted on the site, but I did come across the following blog entry entitled "The Awful Truth About Filipinos". The title grabbed my attention, so it became the shiny penny that distracted me from my original goal. I had to read on.

The post mentions the misuse of the monikers that young Pilipinos use to describe themselves in chatrooms and the like as: Azn, Asian, etc. and how by using these labels as part of their chatroom identities, these young folks are trying to associate themselves with the Japanese & Chinese forms of Asians. I do agree that some people who attach the 'asian' or some form of the word to their chat ID are probably not Asian at all. Sure, many of them might not be Chinese or Japanese. However, there are some people who actually are. I don't think that people attach the Asian association to their email address or chatroom ID with the intention of trying to portray themselves as Chinese or Japanese. To say that something is 'An Asian Thing/Thang'...I mean, a Russian, East Indian or Arab could say that and wouldn't be misusing the term.

In my geography courses, I was taught that the Philippines were part of Asia. In studying maps, I concur. Geographically, Pilipinos are Southeast Asians.

I've quoted the final section from this post as I found it to be the most harsh:

"PART 3: The Conclusion: Recogonizing your Roots ( A Message to )
To all :

Please recognize yoour ROOTS! You come from the the Third World! Your country is a disgusting and filthy place. Most people there live in poverty! Your culture has MUCH MORE SPANISH influence than chinese, and absolutely no JAPANESE influence whatsoever. People in Japan and China, do not act like you. They do not constantly talk about sex and they have a MUCH HIGHER level of RESPECT for each other. There is NO WAY that you can connect yourself to Asia other than location. Your culture and technological advancement does not even come CLOSE to what Chinese, people have done in the past and what Japanese and Korean people are doing now! Everything you do is distinctly . You cannot take credit for Japanese cars, video games, or Hentai! It’s not an “asian thing” it’s, an “american thing”. You have no concept of culture..no concept of asian ideas or asian philosophy! Can you demonstrate how you use Confucianism or Taoism in you everyday, life?? You can’t. And you will NEVER be able to.I understand that you are trying to create an identity for yourselves as young people…but it is NOT related to Asia. Your Identity is . That’s all you are. Just . Think about what that means…."

The last statements are difficult to interpret. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a positive message. "That's all you are. Just Filipino"? I don't think those statements sold me. I mean it's not going to make me change my chatroom ID from 'Azn Gurl' to 'Pinay Chic'. The tone of those 2 statements alone send a negative vibe. I don't know, maybe I'm misreading the post altogether, but not all young people are idiots and identify themselves as both Pilipinos and Asians just to be cool or to try to be Chinese or Japanese. They actually know and are proud to be part of both cultures.


I'm proud to be a Pilipina-Asian-Canadian-North American. I know I'm not wrong in telling the world that I'm one, the other or any combo of the 4.

The most interesting part about this particular post is the fact that the website title is "Filipino-Western Relationships - 'In an Asian's perspective...'" Is she using the 'Asian' term to be cool? Did she think about what it means for her identity to be Filipino?

No comments:

Post a Comment